Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Preparatory Measures

Lately my head has been swarmed with so many things that I would like to accomplish before the baby arrives, and it is overwhelming. The things separately aren't too taxing, but the accumulative effect feels daunting. So, I had to get everything out of my head and onto paper, so that I can keep a grasp and actually check things off as they get accomplished.

One of my "projects" is to gather necessary baby items that will be needed in those early days - diapers, ointment, baby oil, nasal syringe, pacifiers, etc. And it was so surreal being in the baby aisle in the store and knowing that I was buying these things for MY baby. I've only been in that aisle on my way elsewhere. It was really a defining moment.

I stepped up my Brooklyn prep a bit yesterday. I downloaded more baby sounds (not just crying) and played them all on a loop for hours so that we could both get used to them. And I continued to watch TV over the crying, since I imagine that there will be other noise in the house when the baby cries, just so Brooklyn can get an idea of what to expect. She seemed fine. I then held a towel wrapped up in a shirt to simulate a baby and walked around all night holding it. I packed the end of the shirt in a newborn-sized diaper (I couldn't believe how small and cute the diaper is), and I rubbed baby lotion all over the diaper, so that Brooklyn can start getting used to the smell. I also rubbed baby oil on me for scenting purposes. What did Brooklyn think? She LICKED the diaper and me - great, Brooklyn is going to be licking the baby! I also reviewed commands with her. She's not good at "OFF", not sure how to get that one solid in the next 6 weeks. Everything else she was pretty good at.

My belly cast sits waiting for attention - another "project" waiting to be fulfilled. When all is said and done, it will get done. And if it doesn't, I don't think the baby will mind!

No comments: