Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pregnant and Barefoot in the Kitchen

I actually am pregnant and I am barefoot and I am in the kitchen - how about that?! Just finished making a delicious dinner - well, we have yet to eat it, but I think it is going to be delicious! And this is a bit monumental for me because, as I've mentioned in a previous post, I don't cook that often. But I baked a few things for Thanksgiving and it really isn't that hard or time consuming, if you just prep properly (say that fast 3 times). At any rate, I think the baking may have started a little buzz and so I baked some more muffins this morning, because I was craving them. And now dinner. Just waiting for K to return from walking Brooklyn so we can chow down - I am starving.

Turns out that the iTunes mix I made for the hospital is working pretty well for me in these final days. I have used the mix in the past few days to listen to as I breathe quietly and chant in my new safe haven, the baby's closet (well, it's everyone's closet, but he's clearly taken over). I wish all pregnant women in the world a pregnancy free from the mental anxiety that I have voluntarily subjected myself to. I think I should have been just more diligent about making myself meditate. I am realizing that while I always think my compulsive worrying is out of my control, I do have a choice to actively stay positive and not worry. Hindsight is 20/20. I found a new mantra that's been working for me - "Be vigilant; protect your mind against negative thoughts" - Buddha. I found this quote in a picture book of cats with quotes on each page next to photos of adorable felines. When Cats Meditate is the name of the book and I bought it originally in NY, but Brooklyn chewed it up here in Vegas. I looked online to get another one and it is out of print. However, much to my delight, there it was right in the pet store last week (random!) and I think it was used. I bought it right away. And then I found the quote - so it's all kismet!

No comments: