Monday, August 25, 2008

Summer In The City

So, we've just returned from a short trip to NY to visit family and attend a wedding (and I apologize to those family and friends I didn't get to see, i.e. everyone!!). I kept my visit mum because I was overwhelmed by the short amount of time I had, and how much I wanted to see everyone but didn't think I could. I realize that I really need at least a week, maybe two, to get a full visit in with everyone. What was surprising to me about this trip, and the reason why I didn't get my visits in like I had hoped, was that I am out of NY shape! And I think it is mostly because of the pregnancy, but partially also because of the fact that I don't do that much walking in Las Vegas; we drive everywhere. I walk Brooklyn, but that's slow, minimal walking. And I walk through the mall at work to get to the theater, but sometimes I valet and avoid the mall altogether, taking the escalator/elevator straight up. And walking through an indoor mall is not like walking on hard, NY city pavement. On an incline at that! My Brother and I went up the hill to get some food, and the hill took the wind out of me, I was so surprised. And the one day that I did venture on the subway to do some banking, I was really careful about stairs and crowds and took my time, which is so not me in NY; I used to zip through crowds, climb stairs in record time, weave in and out of the maze of commuters so as not to lose my momentum. This was just so wild. I had envisioned myself having lunch/dinner dates with friends, taking pics down in the Village, visiting folks at the theater, seeing a movie, catching some live music (which is unrealistic in a 3 day-stint, pregnant or not). Instead, after that walk up the hill, my heel was aching, and I was just winded, so I ended up spending most of my time on my Grandma's couch! Which was perfect, actually, because I got to spend undivided time with my family, which was long overdue. And then, I got to spend quality time with my in-laws and my stepsons, who are SO EXCITED about the baby, it was really beautiful and touching!!!

There was something really nice about being in NY with my baby in my tummy. I felt like I was already sharing some of my heritage, some of my love for NY with him. When I landed (I arrived two days before K), and I got in the cab to take me to my Grandma's house, the baby started kicking as soon as we got on our way. My family and I joked that he was saying, "New York, just like I pictured it!" (from Stevie Wonder, can't remember which song, Living For The City?).

The NY weather was delicious, mostly mild like Spring or Fall (although anything is mild compared to Vegas Summer heat). I suffered pretty badly from jet lag, and maybe the pregnancy is making it harder to adjust - I had really bad jet lag in Brighton too. So I didn't get the sleep I had hoped, but that's okay, I didn't notice too much, what with all the excitement of seeing family. Didn't sleep much at all on the plane either, which is also new for me. Usually I am asleep before we even take-off and I can stay asleep for most of the ride, but my back was so uncomfortable in the seats, and it felt like the recline made it more achy.

The one thing I didn't remember so much about NY that became so apparent to me during this trip was the dirt! NY is DIRTY!!! Vegas has dirt, but it is natural dirt, it is dust, Vegas is dusty. NY's dirt is FILTH!! And because I am such a germaphobe right now, it magnified the dirt for me. I know NY has always been dirty, but I guess I was used to it. I wonder if I would be such a fanatic about avoiding germs if I was experiencing this pregnancy in NY. Or would I just be even more paranoid?! Things that make you go hmm...

No comments: