Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No Pain, No Gain

I have to admit that the prospect of delivering a baby is pretty daunting, especially the part where it hurts, LOL (more like nervous tittering, NT). Ahem. Way before the pregnancy, I was obsessed with the reality birthing shows on TLC and Discovery Health (Birth Day and A Baby Story) and the one thing that was pretty consistent from episode to episode was the fact that the mother-to-be was in agonizing pain at some point in the labor. I took a break from watching those series, and have started to slowly watch them again, and second thought, not sure if that is a good idea, seeing as I'll be in the same situation in four or five months' time. One thing I've been trying to do is to get myself into acceptance that it is going to hurt, it just is, and I will get through it, I will still be me, just me in pain, it is a state of being, it will pass. I feel like I am gearing up for a prize fight. I am pretty sure that I am going to ask for an epidural (natural mothers, please don't hate me, I am in awe of you!) because I know my tolerance of pain and my tendency to get really tense and anxious when in pain, so for me, I feel like an epidural will be the best choice. K, having experienced birth firsthand twice now, and seeing that and knowing me as a person, thinks I may be right. Maybe for the second time around, I'll be bold and try a natural birth, and I'm sure I could do it, but I think I'll be calmer this first time with some help. Of course, I am also putting in my mind that things can change. Either way, I would just buckle down and get to birthing. As a side note, who knew back when everyone and their mother were getting tattoos on their lower backs that it could interfere with being able to get an epidural?? My doctor checked my tattoo and said that usually where they insert the needle is right in the center of my tattoo, but he felt up a vertebrae or two, and said that they would be able to put it right above. Whew!!! Not something that they mention at the tattoo parlors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I was so obsessed with those TLC shows when I stopped working right before I had the baby. I would sit home and watch and would be pretty okay until they showed a c-section. Then I'd start crying and call my mother at work and say "I dont think I'm going to be able to do this!!" She would scream in the phone "Erica!!!! Would you turn off the damn tv!! Why do you keep doing this to yourself?" LMAO So, there you have it. I was freaked out but its not like you can "get out of it happening" so, I just breathed my way through it and stopped watching the shows. It really doesnt help anywas as all births are different. Im sure you'll be fine. I had an epidural (sp?) then turned around and had to have a c-section so you never know....miss and love ya!!!!